Borough of Richmond upon Thames

The London Borough of Richmond upon Thames includes Richmond, Kew, Barnes, Ham, Sheen, Mortlake, Twickenham, Teddington, Whitton and Hampton. We think it's the greatest borough in Greater London. 

The name was 'created' in 1963, although interestingly Twickenham has twice the population of Richmond and is the home of the Borough Council offices for Richmond upon Thames - in York House (see below). There are 405km of roads, 10.3km of riverbank, 517 hectares of parks and open spaces and 17,000 street trees to maintain in the Borough of Richmond upon Thames. 

Every year the council deals with around 4,000 planning applications, and 1,900 building regulation applications involving over 12,000 inspections and 400 health and safety inspections!

The population of Richmond upon Thames in the 2011 census was 186,990.

Parks in Richmond

Parks take up a great deal of the London Borough of Richmond upon Thames and include Richmond Park, Bushy Park, Kew Gardens, and Hampton Court Park.

For us Richmond Park is the greatest place to visit in Richmond upon Thames as well as being a national treasure!  2,500 acres of parkland with an incredible 300 red deer, 250 fallow deer and 1000 oak trees.  It's even a Special Area of Conservation for the Stag beetle.  During King Edward's reign (1272-1307) the Richmond Park area was known as the Manor of Sheen, and the name changed to Richmond Park during Henry VIII's reign.

There are over 100 parks and open spaces within the boundary of Richmond upon Thames and 21 miles (34 km) of river frontage - five times more green and open space than any other London borough.    

Richmond Council

The London Borough of Richmond upon Thames employees approximately 4700 staff across more than 100 locations, including schools. The organisation is made up of 5 directorates:

- Chief Executives Office and Support
- Adult and Community Services
- Education and Childrens' Services
- Finance and Corporate Services
- Environment

The main offices are based in Twickenham at the Civic Centre.
Richmond Council - covering Richmond upon Thames

York House

York House was acquired by Twickenham Urban District Council (renamed Municipal Borough of Twickenham in 1926) and after major alterations became the council's offices. The new Council Chamber was formally opened by the then Duke of York (later King George VI) in 1926.Since 1965 York House has been the municipal offices of the London Borough of Richmond upon Thames, housing the Mayor's parlour, staff social club, Council chamber, committee rooms and two public halls. By 1990 most of the council staff had been transferred to a new Civic Centre next door, allowing major restoration and renovation work to be carried out in York House.

Police Stations

There are 3 stations within the borough of Richmond upon Thames. Select a station below for contact details and station information.

Richmond Police Station
T: 0300 123 1212
Opening Hours: 08:00 - 20:00 daily

Twickenham Police Station
T: 0300 123 1212
Opening Hours: 24 hours a day

Teddington Police Station
T: 0300 123 1212
Opening Hours: 10:00 - 17:00 Mon to Fri and 11:00 - 14:00 Sat



Share This Page



Next @ Twickers

Sat 27 May - Aviva Premiership Rugby Final 2017 - TBC

Don't Forget!

Father's Day is approaching, it's probably a good idea to book a table for lunch pretty soon.